Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Creative Process for my painting - "Beached"

Staring at a blank canvas is where I begin every painting. I usually already have a general idea of what I want to paint based on some magical inspiration, reference photos and my imagination.

The following is a step-by-step photo illustration of the stages of development for creating this latest painting.

I began with a light pencil sketch on the canvas to lay out the general composition. The (beached) foreground row boat was the focal point for this painting so I began the painting with that. The values and colors will be adjusted later.




 
Added the sky next. This gave me the basis for the light and dark values of the painting.


Now the basic colors of the Caribbean water.


Added some indications of gentle waves and the sand colors below the shallow water and on the beach.


 

I began laying-in palm tree shapes.







Adjusted shadow values and colors. Also added additional details with the oars to create more interest in the focal point area. I like simple, calming and uncomplicated scenes so I didn't want to add any more details to the painting. I firmly believe that less is more.


Finished painting -- Beached.

Beached by Alan Zawacki - 30"x40" acrylic on gallery wrap canvas




So the process began with an inspired idea, then a period of time to tweak and nurture -- and finally the satisfying end result.




Have a great week everyone,
Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment